Our Hamamah: Leadership Development Institute is a global greenhouse for the next generation of Jewish leadership.
Dates: July 24 -August 7, 2018
For: Current 10th and 11th Graders
The Hamamah Experience
Join a new generation of global Jewish teen leaders through a mix of general and specialized leadership training, practical experiences, mentor opportunities and in-camp internships. You will join Jewish teens from around the world interested in developing their own leadership skills, including Young Judaea regional camp graduates, as well as teens from Havurah, FZY (UK) and Camp Kimama in Israel. After completing Hamamah, you will be prepared to take on leadership positions in summer camps, youth groups and movements, schools and communities. You will also be eligible to earn a $250 bonus when you work as a madrich/a in Young Judaea (and other select) camps in the future.
Hamamah teens will:
- Examine the basic ideas and questions that underlie effective leadership
- Participate in intensive workshops, focused on gaining general leadership skills applicable in summer camps and other environments such as public speaking, planning and writing a peulah (activity), and leading games, group discussions and evening activities
- Engage in a set of special interest leadership clinics of your choice including: sports, team-building activities, outdoor/environmental activities, creative and performing arts, programming skills and American Red Cross Lifeguard Accreditation
- Take responsibility for Maccabia, a full day of fun, friendly and high energy competitions that channel our campers’ creativity, ability to work in teams, athleticism, and team-spirit!
- Lead a variety of activities for other campers at Tel Yehudah including most camp-wide activities on a specific Shabbat scheduled during the session
- Gain hands-on practical experience through an individualized camp internship where you will shadow and apprentice with a member of the TY camp staff
- Receive a Hamamah Certificate of Completion for the Leadership Seminar. The certificate will reward a graduate with a $250 bonus for a full summer (or $100 one session) if hired for a programmatic position at a Young Judaea camp in a subsequent summer. This bonus award will be paid by Tel Yehudah. (Tel Yehudah cannot guarantee employment by Young Judaea camps.)
- Participate in all of the activities you love at Tel Yehudah such as tzofiyut, shira, rikud, sports, omanut, teva etc.
Week 1: Focus: General Leadership Workshops
Week 2: Focus: Special Interest Clinics
- Team Building Activities
- Outdoor/Environmental Activities
- Creative and Performing Arts
- Programming Skills
- Room and board for 14 days within our furnished cabins
- 3 healthy, nutritious and kosher meals a day, plus stipend for snacks and treats from our camp canteen
- 24/7 professional medical staff that can dispense first-aid and prescription medicines
- 160+ dynamic and trained camp professionals
- 1/2 day rafting trip on the Delaware River
- Regular laundry-service
- Full time on-site 24/7 security services
- Coach Motorbus transportation to/from Newark International Liberty Airport on opening and closing day for teens who will be traveling to camp by plane
Yes! If you are…
- Currently in 10th or 11th grade;
- Interested in leadership;
- Looking for a fun and impressive resume-building summer experience;
- Open to to taking on real leadership responsibilities in camp
- Love camp or looking to try it out for the first time and
- Want to meet and live with Jewish teens from around the world!